While it will probably be another couple of days before we get our photos and videos organized and uploaded, here’s a really quick update from the Toyoura roadside station to hold you over. We’ve had a fun-filled three days of literal ups and downs through mountain passes in Hokkaido and there’s lots to share!
- A wonderful 25km bike path from Chitose to Shikotsuko.
- The wicked soak at a nearly-closed onsen hotel after the ride.
- Camping on the lakeshore.
- A super-easy 65km followed by a challenging 10km into Noboribetsu Onsen village.
- Everything about Noboribetsu: the festival we stumbled across, the parade that stumbled across us, the incredible onsen baths, the stealth camping on the mountain, the merry celebrations on the street. Everything.
- 1,200m of elevation gain from Noboribetsu over the Orofure Pass.
- Did we mention the onsen baths?
- Ninja camping on the lakeside in Toyako before heading off in the rain.
- The 4’10” obachan who ran the coin laundry shop south of Toyako.
Like I said: a fun-filled three days. Pictures and videos to come!
Middle school teacher on hiatus/budding permaculturalist currently cycling the world. Sometimes he acts in plays and film. Mostly he travels and blogs about it. Christian is one of the founders of onlyamazingdays.com