Pre-departure Post

August 21, 2016

After plotting, scheming and saving for two years, we are finally underway on the trip of a lifetime. We have left our jobs, our families and our friends behind to embark on a journey by bicycle.

We have spent the last two months carefully packing, deliberating over every item and learning how to put together and take apart our bikes. We’ve spent countless hours struggling with derailleurs and brake alignments, wandering the aisles of MEC and our favourite bike shops in Vancouver and Toronto for the perfect set-up and feel like we’ve just about figured it out: in theory.

So far, with panniers and all gear in tow, we’ve biked around the neighbourhood suburb blocks of Markham, Ontario and did a photo shoot in a park. Without gear, we’ve biked across Bowen Island commuting the very hilly 10km to our jobs (once in a while but definitely not frequently enough), did a couple day trips into Vancouver, spent a long weekend on the Galloping Goose trail on Vancouver island,Β took a 5 day jaunt to camp on Saltspring and Gabriola Island, and did a 40km trip into Toronto.

We probably haven’t trained as much as we could’ve, the six-pack abs we had hoped to leave with have not yet materialized, and we could definitely have been eating more protein and less carbs….But we (mostly) feel prepared. We will depart armed with lots of bike know-how, an enthusiasm for sleeping in our trusty little tent every night for the next year, an eagerness to put our waterproofs to the test in the Japanese rain forecasted for our arrival, and more than anything, a really excitement for actually just finally getting out on the road!

So, in two days, the adventure begins when we land at 11:55am on August 25th in New Chitose Airport, Japan where we will spend two months biking from the north island of Hokkaido to Fukuoka in the south, over a total of 1900 kilometres. Camping and staying with local families along the way, we hope to see rural Japan at a nice, slow pace – enjoying life on the road one day at a time. Follow our blog posts as we track our route across this unique island nation from one day to the next as we strive for only amazing days. Every day may very well not be amazing, but it’s about practising mindfulness and gratitude for the world around us and each other that this trip is really about.

Author: Bronwyn

Musician, teacher, traveller. Currently on a year-long journey around the world. Bronwyn is one of the founders of onlyamazingdays.com.

21 comments

1. Comment by Patty Goldfarb

Patty Goldfarb Reply August 23, 2016 at 7:15 am

Fabulous adventure you guys. Really look forward to following your bike steps all the way!

• Comment by Christian

Christian Reply August 23, 2016 at 10:15 am

Thanks, Patty! We’ll do our best to keep this up!

2. Comment by Jeff

Jeff Reply August 23, 2016 at 7:55 am

This excites me!

I look forward to tales of your adventures and many a photograph. If your travels take you through South East Asia – you have a friend in Hanoi who would love to host.

Cheers to your travels, Bronwyn and Christian.

Jeff

3. Comment by Lois

Lois Reply August 23, 2016 at 9:05 am

Mindfulness and gratitude and impermanence. That’s what it’s all about.

Gambatte! Only good things await.

xo

• Comment by Christian

Christian Reply August 23, 2016 at 10:17 am

Thanks Lois!

4. Comment by Nabeel Jafri

Nabeel Jafri Reply August 23, 2016 at 9:08 am

Hi!

Ended up here through reddit. As a fellow Torontonian and bike enthusiast, good luck on your tour and I look forward to reading all about it!

Best,
    Nabeel

• Comment by Christian

Christian Reply August 23, 2016 at 10:16 am

Hi Nabeel! Thanks for the message! We’re stoked (and nervous) but can’t wait to get back to Japan. Look after Toronto for us while we’re away! πŸ™‚

5. Comment by Erica

Erica Reply August 23, 2016 at 10:49 am

Right on! I’m sorry I missed your goodbye picnic but glad you have this blog up so I can follow along on the awesome adventure! Have fun πŸ™‚

6. Comment by Tina Nielsen

Tina Nielsen Reply August 23, 2016 at 11:39 am

Trip of a lifetime indeed. Really excited for you two and proud of you just going and doing it. You’ll never be “prepared” enough and that’s part of the adventure and will make for the best stories. Have fun!

7. Comment by Anthony Goto

Anthony Goto Reply August 23, 2016 at 12:11 pm

Wow – Really impressive! This is going to be one you’ll remember for the rest of your lives. Looking forward to hearing more!

• Comment by Christian

Christian Reply August 24, 2016 at 1:11 am

Thanks Anthony. Can’t wait until I get to see you again! Let us know if you find yourselves in Europe in the spring (or in Japan over the next two months!)

8. Comment by Jennifer Zdril

Jennifer Zdril Reply August 23, 2016 at 12:46 pm

So awesome, in the true sense of the word. Looking forward to reading about your adventures!

9. Comment by Malene

Malene Reply August 23, 2016 at 1:10 pm

I am getting all emo reading your post Bronwyn… this is just so super exciting. To break up with ‘normal & predictable’ and open yourself to possibility. Rock on beautiful people! LOL, and of course now having discovered your wow site, I will shamelessly live vicariously through y’all πŸ˜‰

Smooch from Bowen,
    Malene

10. Comment by Al

Al Reply August 23, 2016 at 1:34 pm

All the best, you guys. Nati and I will be following you every step of the way. We can’t wait to welcome you further down the track.

• Comment by Christian

Christian Reply August 24, 2016 at 1:18 am

I. Cannot. Wait. Start counting down from two months right now!

11. Comment by Scott Hetherington

Scott Hetherington Reply August 23, 2016 at 2:42 pm

Christian. It has been a long time since our paths have crossed but I am so stoked to see that your joy of travel and adventure has not left you. I am very excited to follow the journey on this blog and best of luck to you and Bronwyn on this amazing adventure. Japan is high on my list of destinations as well so I will be taking furious notes to hopefully piggyback off of the amazing stories you will no doubt have.

All the best!

• Comment by Christian

Christian Reply August 24, 2016 at 1:17 am

It was my home for two years and I’ll get two more months out of it by bike, so do let me know if you have any questions. Truly one of my favourite places on earth!

12. Comment by Nina

Nina Reply August 23, 2016 at 7:34 pm

Wishing you a brilliant time! The blog looks great and it’s bookmarked! I look forward to follow you on your trip in cyberspace πŸ˜„

13. Comment by Jess

Jess Reply August 24, 2016 at 11:26 pm

Have so much fun! Sounds amazing πŸ™‚

14. Comment by Gitte Jorgensen

Gitte Jorgensen Reply August 25, 2016 at 10:36 am

Hey you two. We have been travelling for the last 5 weeks with limited wifi so I was so excited when your website opened here in Tuscany! Loved the first two posts and tried not to get teared eyed again with the relization you have really gone from Bowen. What a space you have left there but could not be for a better reason. Embrace every minute!

Hugs, Gitte and Karina

15. Comment by Ryan C

Ryan C Reply August 26, 2016 at 1:16 am

A bit late to this post! I’ll be checking in on you guys often to see what’s going on. We have been on a family vacation and my family is so intrigued by your adventure! (I also think my cousins are jealous of me having you guys as teachers) I miss you guys already! Thanks for all the great memories, make sure you post all of yours along the way!